Wednesday, May 23, 2012

RESULTS OF TESTS IN MY OFFICE AND MY ROFS TO THOSE PATIENTS




by Dr. David Walls-Kaufman

In my office for this first round of Thiol testing we had thirty people interested but only twelve could make that date and two got held up and so 10 people tested, including myself.

We offered the Serum Thiol lab a nice spread of cases with widely varying lengths of time under chiropractic care. It may come as a surprise to some why people would be under chiropractic care for, in one case, 22 years, but this length of care is due to the fact that we view chiropractic as nervous system hygiene - the removal of stress-induced dirt in the nervous system that impedes the innate expression of life and order.

The whole group varied in time under care from four months to 22 years. Four were patients that did the test because I am concerned about their health status.

Remember, there are two numbers that matter most - below 90 shows a disease risk of 95% over a person's lifetime, and the lower the score the worse the risk for serious illness. Scores of 120+ (n-moles cysteine) are in the "normal" good health category, with a disease risk of only 5%. And long term chiropractic patients fall "consistently" in this category, three different ecogenetics researchers found.

First, the good news:

Patient PM, male, age 56, under my care for 22 years at once monthly adjustments, posted a total plasma Thiol score of 141.

Patient JB, male, age 37, under my care for 2 years at once weekly, posted a score of 134.

Patient MB, female, age 60, an ICU nurse under my care for 20 years off and on, mostly off, but more regularly the past four years (and who works graveyard shift her entire career, which concerned me), delivered a score of 122.

Patient JF, female, age 42, under my regular care for 10 years, 10 years ago before she moved to NYC, where she has had sporadic care. She returns once weekly now to my office for five adjustments in two days because of intense pain and health concerns. She showed a 117 Thiol score.

Myself, age 55, male, with infrequent care for decades until I saw the Thiol research that says "chiro is mo better" so I go once weekly for a year and a half, I have high stress but I think I manage it well, and I do serious tai chi daily; I post 116.

Patient IA, female, age 67, retired, lifetime serious headaches but eats quite well and gets good exercise, and therefore manages her health better than most Americans her age, and under my weekly care for four months - Thiol score of 89.

Patient BR, female, age 55, under care for four years, numerous serious health and pain complaints four years ago, and under constant asthma and allergy meds her entire life that she is now totally clear of, and now all of those allergy and asthma issues resolved, with adjustments - she came in at 122.

Patient CM, female, aged 76, history of serious past stress with alcoholism and difficult marriage and smoking in the first half of her life, and kidney disease four years ago (which means a Thiol score of 40 for kidney disease), doing well now with a medical "clean bill of health" and four years of weekly care, came in at 82.

Patient BB, male, aged 80, history of heart beat irregularity and a partly paralyzed foot, both of which are much improved with chiropractic so that the heart beat only occurs at times when he has missed his adjustment and his posture worsens (so that there is spinal cord pulling in the area between the shoulder blades that serves his heart), and the foot is 90% better - set the Thiol bar at 67.

Patient RL, female, retired, aged 67, has had a history of widespread aches and pains for many years. She has come in for chiropractic care over three very short stints over the course of 15 years, with 12 visits over 15 years. She eats well and has practiced tai chi. Her score was 67.

I was disappointed that two of my longer term patients were as low as they were after a several-years of steady chiropractic care. But this is not unexpected given the larger picture, since kidney disease in the one indicates total plasma Thiols in the 40s, and 41 years of smoking and some heart issues in the other means that he must have had a Thiol score in the 50s when he began with me four years ago. Given these scores, and the trend we have going for them, and the fact that we can now add AC-11 into their regimen to help, I believe our prognosis is solid.

I was highly surprised that my own Thiol level was not up in the 150s, considering how hard I practice tai chi each day and that I've done so since 1988! I also eat quite well, and ought to have very good genes considering the longevity in my family.

In consultation with the lab, I was told that I under-appreciate two big stresses in my life could be far more significant than I realized: One is the entrepreneurial stress of being a principal and investor in a new engine company whose prospects are still unclear and the possibility of huge financial loss still looms. The other big stress is that of simply being a chiropractor a specialty with a vitalistic philosophy that is clearly tangential to the mechanistic medical model that has convinced society that the body is a chemical machine, i.e. tweak the chemicals and all falls into line. Dealing with the stress of private chiropractic practice can be significant, I am told, and it makes strong sense to me.

So, again, I am amazed to have this level of clarity into human well-being. The results underscore our lack of complete understanding about the factors that set our health thermostat where it is. But I am extraordinarily grateful to have this fact made perfectly clear to me and patients so that we are dealing with reality rather than perception and wishful thinking. We can now use the AC-11 and stick to our chiropractic program, and retest ourselves in six months or so to see if we have peeped above the hallowed 120 mark.

The other factor in my own score is chiropractic. Until I saw the 2005 study on long term chiropractic care and total plasma Thiols, my frequency of chiropractic care was sketchy at best. Once I saw how necessary plentiful adjustments were I no longer stood on ceremony waiting for someone to come to my office – I actively pursued regular weekly adjusting at colleague’s offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment